Monday, May 24, 2010

blog not dead... just resting!

Hrm. It seems it has been a significant amount of time since I last posted.

Well, I've gained a couple more hobbies (car repair, welding, all sorts of stuff...) and continued with some others. I'm trying to buy a house so I can stop renting, and in the process have discovered nearly every possible way there is to NOT buy a house. I own two jeeps now and they waste a lot of my time... and I'm considering buying another one to replace the first one, because the first one is rustier than I ever thought possible. How'd I get myself into this mess again? Whoever said Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket wasn't really joking, though it'd cost me far more to buy just one new vehicle than it has so far for the two basket cases I have PLUS the one I'm considering.

Oh, and I left facebook (perhaps temporarily, but probably for good.) A combination of things triggered that move - first of all, facebook has been becoming more and more annoying to me. First were the stupid apps and games that drove me up a wall, then the privacy concerns started rolling in... then they forced a few profile format changes I didn't like on everyone. I grumbled, but I stayed on. Then they forced a few more profile format changes and added Open Graph, and I was fed up. So I deactivated my account (if you can't beat em, leave em, or something like that.) From the response I got from some people you would think I was becoming a hermit or something! I never thought that I'd get emailed by my parents saying I should spend more time online... *laughs* So far the only thing I've noticed is that I don't know what my friends are up to (I really sorta do miss this part) and that I spend less time on facebook (well, duh!)

This week I need to get everything moved out of my apartment, as my lease is up on the 31st. I got a second storage unit and have/will be spending every evening moving stuff from my apartment into storage, and I'm currently working on getting a temporary apartment on month-to-month lease terms so that I don't end up living in a cardboard box.

Here's to hoping that signing up for a temporary apartment will turn the perversity of the universe on its head (it usually works against me) and make the house purchase move faster than expected for once!

4 comments:

Eric Stein said...

Good luck on that house... I'm holding off on the idea for now. Once you have one, you can't move around so easily (as I am the picture of dynamism).

W1KAS said...

I'm fine with being tied down by a house... I'm sick and tired of moving. I just want a place where I can work on stuff without my neighbors sic'ing the landlord on me (their ideal neighbors include retirees, mutes, quadriplegics, and those already deceased), and can actually have a decent workshop instead of a bedroom/workshop/storeroom/disaster.

Unknown said...

I hope the house goes through...but, having somewhere to live while you work on the house is not a bad idea for a while, if the house is not totally livable. Where's the apartment? Worcester?

W1KAS said...

Yeah, just made it official (signed my tenant-at-will agreement, I'm living at this place for at least 2 months)... by the way I had a few packages sent to your place over the last week because I had absolutely no idea where I'd be living!

House is still waiting to fall through. I hope it works out but I'm pretty much expecting it to end in the worst possible way at this point.

New address is 40 Country Club Blvd #26 in Worcester MA 01605. The power won't be turned on till Tuesday. Still moving things into storage and the new place, I think I should be able to get everything out by the deadline this time around.